This article is for you if you have purchased and taken possession of your wedding dress, or if you have already worn your wedding dress and you want to put it away for storage long-term.
Here are our TOP TIPS for ensuring your wedding gown is safe and protected for long term storage.
1. Keep it in a FABRIC garment bag: all our Carte Blanche Bride designers provide a 'breathable' garment bag with each wedding dress. DO NOT USE PLASTIC. This can cause moisture build up leading to mould and potential yellowing of delicate fibres whether natural or man made.
2. Your wedding dress needs to stay out of direct sunlight
3. Make sure your storage location is cool and dry (no humidity allowed!). You can purchase anti-moisture sachets online to sprinkle throughout the packaging or box. Don't use moth balls.
4. If you are storing your gown in a box with tissue, ensure you have purchased COLOUR-free and ACID-free tissue paper to protect the long term fabric of your dress. Any acid or colouring can seep into the dress and eat away or discolour your dress.
5. The best way to store your dress - if all the above criteria are met - is FLAT. This ensures no stretching of lace or alteration of silhouette due to gravity taking effect.
6. If you can't safely provide the above conditions, hanging is fine - but make sure you use the hanger ribbons rather than placing the weight of the dress on the shoulders themselves.
7. Last, but NOT LEAST, avoid handling your wedding gown too much. Don't try it on just for the fun of it. A long white dress is a magnet for dirt and any hint of a mark will show up. Any time you need to handle it or check something, wash your hands thoroughly and ensure there is no grease and grime, grabby children or curious pets in close proximity!
"DO NOT USE PLASTIC [to store your wedding dress]. This can cause moisture build up leading to mould and potential yellowing of delicate fibres whether natural or man made."